REFLECTOR: Oil cooler (FG)

Patrick Sieders pjsieders at comcast.net
Sat Aug 18 16:37:47 CDT 2012

Hello Crowd,

So here is my setup, my plan, questions, and hopefully some wisdom from y’alls side.

I have a IO-540-J4A5 Lycoming, coming off of an Aztec. 250HP Turbo normalized. Since it came firewall forward, I ended up with the oil cooler, which seems to be a NDM 20104A. In a normal situation, that would be sufficient, but since we fly these engines backwards, with minimal cooling, I believe an extra cooler will be needed.

At this point I am thinking to place this cooler (the one I have) up front, and add a smaller one in the engine compartment. Mind you there is a turbo back there with extra heat, so it would not be as efficient as on normal setups.

OR..

Should I wait with installing a second one and try it with one first ?

OR..

Should I divide the coolers, i.e. getting two new ones, one up front and one in the back ?

I know this is not all very scientific, but some forward thinking is required, and I want to see what steps I might have missed.

Patrick Sieders

Nashville TN