REFLECTOR: Pitch buck

John Abraham john at velocityaircraft.com
Sun Aug 12 17:30:05 CDT 2012

Ron,

Do you have VG's on the canard and main wing?  Sometimes you can get it to just descend at about 800-1000 fpm if you do. The canard sits on the edge of stall. If you pump the stick though and "aggravate" the stall then it should pitch buck.

One other thing to check is your elevator throw. You should have 22 degrees trailing edge up and 26-28 degrees down from neutral with the canard tips. If you are achieving over 28 degrees you are stalling the canard and it won't pitch buck since it will be continually stalled.

You should achieve a stall around 65kts normally with an XL. What is the weight of the plane when you are flying now?  You can tell when you are near aft CG because the plane will feel pitchy.

Fly safe,

John