REFLECTOR: Insurance update

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 17:59:13 CDT 2012

My insurance update:

When a Cozy burned to the ground at my airport last Sunday (without insurance), I decided to revisit my company to find out what it would cost to insure my Velocity. I am still working on paint, but things are rolling along fairly well and I was in need of a quote anyway.

I contacted my broker, Costello Insurance out of Tempe,  AZ. 1-800-528-6483 or  insure at aviationi.com    I work mostly with Barb.

I received my quote today. I only asked for (about) what I have into the project (I built everything).
So, for my 173 FGE with a 325 HP Aluminum V-6, Hull of $75,000, 1-Mil policy. Factory Checkout, No restrictions on flying off my own 40 hours or first flight. Named only pilots ( Me and Misty).  $2380 for the first year.
Seems expensive when compared to $525 for full coverage for the Cherokee-235, but not when compared to other phase-I experimental aircraft with an "alternative engine".

Seeing all that was left of the Cozy after a fire... I think I will go with it.

Kurt Winker.