REFLECTOR: Insurance update

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:45:54 CDT 2012

Folks,

So, I ended up going with Avemco.  Apparently they're the only company you
can go to directly (others you need to go thru a broker).  I contacted over
3 brokers (including the one recommended by Velocity) and none were able to
give me a quote.  It seems its the RG that is the problem.  Avemco req'd
10hrs retract time and the Velocity transition training, others were
requiring a min of 50hrs RG time.  The premium is just shy of $1K for $1M
liability (no hull).  Also, they will adjust the premium as soon as I get
to 48hrs in type.

Last weekend I took an Arrow out for ~4hrs to build up retract time.  It
was an ancient bird.  I had planned to do the NY VFR corridor, but it only
had one working radio and the transponder "sort of" worked, so I didn't
feel comfortable taking it on a long XC.  I need another couple hours, so
I'll put them in later this week before first flight.

Tomorrow morning, the FAA rep comes over for an airworthiness inspection -
I'll let you know how it goes...

Geoff
N173VS (173RG)
http://thegerhardts.com/velocity