REFLECTOR: Franklin Accessory Gears

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 17:47:14 CDT 2012

John,

That gear is what is known as a helical cut gear and should not produce end
thrust.  There was an AD issued for Franklin engines that warned against
using American made gears mating with PZL built gears or visa-versa.  Since
your gears need replacing that could be the real problem.   The US built
gears were made from cast iron blanks and the PZL were steel.  They were
also machined on different gear cutting machines.

Larry Coen
N136LC