REFLECTOR: Aileron Rigging (Reflexing)

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Thu Apr 26 15:29:42 CDT 2012

Ron,

I'm not an aeronautical engineer, but I like to pretend from time to time. Here is my understanding of the aileron-reflex issue. If anyone knows better, I'd love to hear from you.

There are many tradeoffs when designing an airplane. The angle of incidence of the wing needs to be a compromise between slow flight and cruise speed. The wing is initially set at some angle that isn't optimal at either end of the speed spectrum, but gives acceptable performance throughout the range.

Optimal flight occurs when the fuselage is pointed directly ahead, straight into the relative wind. When flying really slow, the wings need more angle of attack (AOA) and the plane must be pointed up (above the horizon) in order to provide enough lift. When flying really fast, the wings on most planes provide too much lift, and the nose must be pointed down a few degrees in order to maintain level flight.

On a conventional GA airplane, the flaps effectively increase the incidence of the wing. Put the flaps down and you no longer have to point the nose so high in order to get the AOA; you have improved slow-speed performance. In some planes, the flaps can be put UP (raised above 0 degrees). This decreases the AOA and you no longer have to point the nose down; you get better high-speed performance.

[Of course, instead of using flaps, you could adjust the 'neutral' position of your ailerons to achieve the same thing. If you can do this in flight, they become flaperons. If you're making ground adjustments, then you're changing the designer's point-of-compromise between high- and low-speed flight.]

A canard aircraft is much the same. The fact that the main wing is lifting 85% of the weight instead of 110% of the weight doesn't change the analysis. The main wing incidence is set such that it strikes a balance between fast flight and slow landings. When flying slowly, the elevator on the canard is way down (stick back), thus lifting the canard enough to get the extra AOA that the main wing needs. In cruise flight, the elevators are way up in order to push the nose down enough to "unload" the main wing through decreased AOA. In this cruise attitude you have two inefficiencies: the fuselage is pointed slightly down and the elevators are fighting against the lift of the canard.

So . . . *IF* the following assumptions are correct (I don't pretend to be an expert here):

1.       The Velocity main wing incidence is a compromise between cruise speed and slow performance.

2.       The Velocity cruises with its elevator mostly up (stick down) and the fuselage pointed down a few degrees.

3.       The ailerons are initially rigged at 0 degrees (in line with the trailing edge of the wing)
THEN:

You might be able to get a more efficient (higher-speed) cruise attitude by raising both ailerons. Unless you invent a way to adjust them in flight, you would pay a penalty in the form of a higher stall speed. (The canard, of course, doesn't know how your ailerons are rigged, but because the AOA of the main wing is effectively decreased by raising the ailerons, the canard reaches its stall AOA at a higher speed.)

This is a much more complex topic than I can do justice to, and there are many ramifications to messing with the rigging of an airplane. (Read the article in this month's Kitplanes that describes how adding a camera to stunt plane prevented it from recovering from an intentional flat spin.) Depending on the configuration of the canard and main wing, changing the rigging of an aircraft can cause the canard wake to pass over the main wing and kill its lift. Also, I'm told there can be flutter issues with rigging the Velocity's ailerons at 0 degrees, so most builders may already have their ailerons 'reflexed' to the optimal cruise configuration. There are probably 100 other aerodynamic issues that I'm overlooking. Please chime in if you know what these are. I'm anxious to learn.

As for how to make in-flight aileron adjustments, here's how you could (theoretically) change your wing-root aileron torque tube attachment to mix in some flaps.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CD23C9.C8582170]

The image shows a push-rod connecting to the aileron, but you can imagine the torque-tube version of this same setup. I don't recommend this; I'm just including it to satisfy intellectual curiosity over how it could be done.

Hope this helps!

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
XL-RG, 31% complete
Trying to finish all the canard tasks