REFLECTOR: Seats

William Walker blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 18 20:38:58 CDT 2012

Sorry it took so long to get back to TVBF. I had a busy couple of days.

Thanks, all, for the kind words on my seats. I'd have to dig through my records for Oregon Aero's price for the foams, though I do recall they were eye-wateringly expensive for both fronts and the rear bench/split back. My upholstery shop owner (MJ Aviation at AID) laughed when I told them I had Oregon Aero Foams already. He took me to the back of the shop and showed me his 6 varying densities of memory foam which they use for biz jet custom seats. He said he would have included mine in the price of the upholstery job. Doh!!

In all honesty, MJ was a real class act as they pretty severely underbid my upholstery stuff to keep their staff working through a particularly slow month a couple of Februarys ago. Upon completion, they described it as "Upholstering the inside of an egg...not a damn straight line in the thing!!!" Great people. Had I taken them up on their foams, they would have lost even more money.

Reiff, kudos for the Corbeau fitment. Mine are probably every bit that heavy. Yours may be more difficult to get into and out of, but I would choose yours over mine if things went bad and I had to land off-airport. Can't beat a race-proven and crashworthy car seat. I didn't know you could fit those into our airplanes...nicely done. I now have my Plan B.

Thanks again.

Bill