REFLECTOR: seats

William Walker blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 12 21:14:13 CDT 2012

Reiff,

You'll probably regret the Corbeau decision down the road. Most current Velocities run out of forward CG before they run out of useful load. That extra 35 lbs is way forward of the CG.

Besides, there is almost no side-loading in aircraft, and although the Velocity seat pans look Plain-Jane, you would be amazed at how someone like Oregon Aero can make them feel wonderful. Wiggle room is very much appreciated after 2+ hrs in this type aircraft.

I looked at numerous options, even automotive seats, and came up with this solution:

Factory seat pans, Mazda Miata (circa 2002) outer hinges, factory inner hinges, some creative fitment engineering, Oregon Aero seat foams, local interior shop, and could not be happier. They look and feel like factory car seats, they fold forward for easy access to the rear seats, and the seat backs can be adjusted rearward by the hinge lever in easily duplicated notches. (They can also lay all the way back and down if you ever have to sleep in your plane or have the need to engage the autopilot and travel rearward to diagnose wayward gear problems).

Let me know if you are interested and I'll take a few photos and a video to send to you.

Bill Walker