REFLECTOR: Pressure Testing Strakes

Monty Suffern monty.suffern at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:04:58 CDT 2012

Hi Tom
Despite my very best efforts in closing out my strakes, I also had slow
leaks.  Some of them were quite a few inches from the fuel tank - up to 6
inches away, and were located along the double section of leading edge
where the two strakes overlap each other, BUT at the ends of the strake,
both inboard and outboard.  I found myself whistling "I'm forever blowing
bubbles" on numerous occasions.
I also found that some leaks could be detected by pulling a small vacuum in
the tank with a vacuum cleaner, and listening for airflow using a
stethescope with a long hollow tube.
Good luck fixing them.  They are a real b**ch.