REFLECTOR: Pressure testing Strakes. Help me!!

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 18:59:04 CDT 2012

Tom

    Lube the O-Ring on the fuel caps. 8 out of 10 times that  fixes the
leaks. Just hope it's not the other 2!

      Ken

In a message dated 4/6/2012 3:21:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tomfalls6 at gmail.com writes:

Help! I’m struggling to find very very small leaks in both  strakes after
closing them out. I am using a water manometer hooked to the  strainer side
of each tank and a hose with a valve on the vent line. I blow in  the hose
and when I see about 19” between each water column (equivalent to  about 0.68
psi or 170 knots on an ASI) , I shut off the valve. Then I go  around and
brush a soapy water mixture over all joints, fittings, seams etc.  Initially I
found and fixed a few leaks. For instance I had to tighten the  clamps on
the sight gages. On the left tank the manometer drops from 19” to  18” of
H2O in 30 seconds (+/- 5 seconds). On the right tank it’s about 10  minutes to
drop from 19” to 18”. I am at the point where looking for bubbles  with
soapy water is not revealing the location of the leaks.
Any ideas?? How are others finding leaks? Should I maybe  use a higher
pressure in the tanks? If so, how much pressure is enough and how  is this done?
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Visit the gallery!   www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose