REFLECTOR: Nose gear gas strut

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 08:53:55 CDT 2012

Don,

I measured the length of mine and went to Autozone and bought two that were
similar length but different pressures.  Sorry, I didn't write down which
one I used (returned the other one).  It doesn't take much force, tho.
 When I took the old one out, it was very weak and I could easily compress
it by hand.  I'm guessing it should probably be around 30lbs.  I have wing
jacks that I use to raise my plane, so I just lowered one of the jacks and
put the strut b/w the jack piston and 2x4 I use to cushion the jack against
the wing, and jacked it up to compress the spring.  Then safety wired it in
its compressed state and released the jack.  Snapped it in place and
clipped the safety wire.

Geoff