REFLECTOR: Dual Stick Control Installation

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Mon Apr 2 07:44:45 CDT 2012

Bob,

I'm planning on running 2 aileron cables; one on the pilot's side, and one on the co-pilot's side. Both cables will run from the side-stick, along the fuselage side (just over the rudder conduit) all the way to the aileron attachment at the wing root. There will be no connections, bellcranks, or other components in the whale tail. The rod connecting the 2 side sticks will be the only link between left and right aileron.

The autopilot and roll trim (Strong's trim system, not the Velocity spring & string), can be mounted behind the panel, if there's room, or behind the firewall at the wing root, if panel space is limited.

When I was in Sebastian earlier in the year, I talked through lots of options with Scott Swing and Ken Mishler. They told me that many techniques have been used over the years:

1. The SUV and other yoke-equipped Velocities ran cables down the keel, and diagonally across the floor of the passenger compartment, like this:
http://www.velocityaircraft.com/photos/Keel%20and%20Control%20System/Yoke%20Controls/pages/XLRG-CABLE-ROUTING.html

2. The Twin is using a single push-pull cable that runs down the side of the fuselage, and a multiple bellcranks in the back of the plane to connect one cable to the two ailerons.

3. Velocity built a proof-of-concept plane for the military that could be manned or flown remotely. They ran a single aileron cable down the right side of the fuselage and connected it to the right aileron. Then there was a second cable run in a U-shape around the engine compartment that connected the right aileron to the left one.

It may be a few months before I get something that is picture-worthy. I need to get my side sticks installed and my ailerons attached before I can work on the specifics of connecting the two. I don't want to finalize the stick position until the seats are in, so that's what I'll work on next.

Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
XL-RG, 30% complete

PS: Project update: I attached the strake tips to the doors this weekend. Corbeau TRS racing seat arrives today. Hope it fits!
http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/trs/