REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip

John Abraham John at velocityaircraft.com
Mon Sep 26 10:21:40 CDT 2011

The aircraft can be slipped.  However; I always tell people when they come
in for training that it is something that they need to feel comfortable with
the aircraft before doing it and the aircraft must have proper control
throws.  A slip in this aircraft is like the initial hill on a roller
coaster (aircraft has a slight nose down).  Unlike a tractor pull aircraft,
you can't let your speed lower too much because you begin to lose aileron
effectiveness.  You need to start the slip with the airspeed indicator
pegged on 90kts.  This allows the ailerons to fight the rudders.  However
the rudders will win out if you lock-out the controls full.  While the
ailerons will be at full deflection, you will have to work the rudder in and
out a bit to keep from rolling too far.  Done properly you can lose as much
as 2000fpm.

Next time I am up flying I will see if I can have someone video tape what
the controls are doing during a slip.

Like I said though, you need to be comfortable with the aircraft first
before trying to slip it.  Otherwise you will end up trying to land too fast
or drifting way off the centerline.

Safe flying,

John