REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Sat Sep 24 21:49:55 CDT 2011

Hi Kevin.
You Know, lots of folks say that you can "not" slip a canard- I have not
done so in a Velocity, but I slipped the heck out of the long EZ I had
several years back to get it down and slow- guess you just need to work on
the technique- feels different from a 172 for sure. The one advantage is
that both rudders can be deployed on the non- toe brake models to assist in
speed control- to just correct for only a crosswind on landing, I would just
crab, it will point directly into the direction of travel when both mains
touch down- and I do mean both, if you land on just the upwind (trailing)
wheel, it will tend to go off in the direction that the nose is pointed.