REFLECTOR: FAR 91.109

Patrick Horvath phorvath at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 23 16:20:31 CDT 2011

I am an instructor (CFII-MEI).  The definition we use for Dual Controls is ability to control the aircraft from either seat - as opposed to a side-by-side where there was only a stick on one side, or a Bonanza-style throw-over yoke.

There is a good AOPA discussion of Dual Flight Controls that focused on dual brakes but gives some clarification for this too (http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/regdual.html). They said: "The term "dual controls" under section 91.109(a) refers to flight controls (e.g. pitch, yaw, and roll controls). These flight controls are the only required dual controls for the purposes of meeting the requirements under section 91.109(a)."  Center stick therefore qualifies for aileron/elevator control from both seats.  That should also address the question about dual throttle.

As the instructor, as long as I can control the aircraft from my seat, and I determine the flight can be conducted safely, I can provide instruction and/or flight review in center stick aircraft.

Hope that helps.

Patrick Horvath

Sent from my iPad