REFLECTOR: Dynon -Oil Temp Sensor

Ruben Creus ruben at vainneg.com
Wed Sep 21 13:07:39 CDT 2011

Hi all,

I have been dealing with a problem for a long time with the reading of my
oil temp in my Dynon, and finally found a solution. So, I thought to share
it around in case anyone else has the same issue with a Dynon unit.

I have a Dynon flightDeck-180, and always had the issue of seeing my oil
temp fluctuating based on the current of the alternator. I originally had a
1-wire oil sensor, the sensor was grounded on the engine block. That created
small a ground differential between the back and the nose of the plane
translating on a variation of the displayed temperature of approximately +10
degrees, the Dynon was grounded in the nose and the sensor in the engine
block.

Talking with Dynon, about it they told me to change the oil temp sensor to a
2-wire sensor. First, the resolution of the sensor is ten times greater, so
it is more accurate, and second, the second wire can connect directly to the
ground of the harness, virtually bringing the ground to the sensor to the
ground of the Dynon.

Previously I had jumps of 10 degrees when I pushed my PTT, or turn on
landing light, or when the alternator was giving more current for any
reason.

Now the result is that variations have disappeared. Now the oil temp does
not suddenly fluctuate anymore!!

Ruben Creus
571-215-0025
ruben at vainneg.com