REFLECTOR: VG's

Fred Anderka fred at holohil.com
Tue Sep 20 12:35:35 CDT 2011

Just before a trip to Tucson this summer I installed a pair of VG's 1 ½" in front of the NACA's to help with engine cooling (IO-550)as per Scott S. directions.  I have had consistent high CHT in #2 cylinder, sometimes reaching 440° during climb out and the high temperatures in the southwest this summer was a concern.  I obtained the Stolspeed VG's from Spruce, http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/stolspeed.php.  These are flexible and are supplied with sticky pads that work very well.  The CHT  reduction was dramatic and all the CHT's were closer to each other with none going over 390° during climb out, even #2.  The plenum pressure is increased by several inches as my manifold pressure actually goes up a bit once airborne, the IO-550 gets its intake air from the back of the plenum.

Planning to try the VG's on the outer ½ of the wing and canard to see if that gives me more control at low speed.

Fred Anderka

C-GHOL