REFLECTOR: VG's vs Turbulator Tape

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Tue Sep 20 07:11:45 CDT 2011

Great question, Scott, and I have exactly the same question.  I love what
the VGs do for the plane, but I really wish they weren't so tall.  It makes
them easy to break off and the wings harder to wash, etc.  I bought a bunch
of tape and even sent some to the factory hoping they could test fly it and
see if it works the same, and if the placement would be the same.  I don't
think they've had a chance to fly it yet, or at least I haven't heard back.
 I think I heard they own N222TZ now, so maybe they can try the tape on her
when they have a minute?

Brett

          --------------------

> I've had VG's on my STD for 500+ hours.  And I do like them.  I've flown
with and without.

> Any new bird I would recommend initially flying without and adding them
after you get the plane trimmed.  Then you will have a before and after
performance feel  for them,

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm]
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm

> Anybody tried it?  I've seen it in a couple of RV's that fly into
GNT(Sunday breakfast crowd) and they swear by them.

> Reason I Iike the tape is VG's are sharp, things catch on them, hard
washing the plane, the really kill the smooth look, etc..  This zig-zag tap
is lower profile, easier to wash the plane and I've been told it lasts
longer than the polycarbonate VG's.