REFLECTOR: Engine air intake

Kerry Woods kwoods241 at att.net
Mon Sep 19 22:26:34 CDT 2011

Thank You Lynn
Kerry
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kathy Cook
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 8:52 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine air intake

        Kerry, a good intake system is indeed much more complicated than would first appear.  I have a standard elite retract with an IO360 and I am seeing between a half a psi and .8 psi boost or positive pressure on the down side of the filter between the fuel servo  and the filter using a very sensitive gauge.  There are a couple of given facts to consider: first, take your intake air from the high pressure area preferably under the wing, versus under the belly, to prevent debris from the nose tire being thrown into the intake. second: the size of the opening is variable depending on speed, bigger for slow speeds, and smaller as the speed increases.  Therefore, any fixed opening is a compromise. third: it is very important that the volume of the intake chamber increase after the opening by 3 or 4 times the size of the opening so that the pressure inside the intake system will rise and be smoothly directed through an efficient air filter.  I am using a K&N filter and 3" scatt tubing.  If you have any questions, let me know and we can talk on the phone and I can send a couple of pictures and possibly some measurements.  Lynn Cook