REFLECTOR: Wheel Pants and speed?

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Mon Sep 19 17:01:20 CDT 2011

Bob,

Yes, we installed them on our fixed gear X, land really like them.  They're
certainly not required, but we weren't happy with how sluggish the ailerons
were on landing.  The factory teaches to use the rudders to bring up a low
wing on landing, but the VGs make the ailerons much more responsive so that
you don't necessarily have to.

They seemed to lower our stall speed by about 5 knots, and may have taken a
knot off of the top end (again, we haven't been really good at checking the
absolute top end, but it was about a knot from where we typically maxed
out).

Fences would probably also work, but a local 'long wing' flyer has those,
and likes them, but he says that they work sooo well that the plane wants
to fly straight (it takes a fair amount of input to initiate a turn).
Since we got most of what we wanted with the VGs, I haven't elected to
install the fences, though I made some off of the templates that I got from
Chris Martin's plane (Klaus Savier worked with him to get those sized for
the Velocity).

VG Flight Summary - [LINK:
http://www.velocityxl.com/content.php?1432-Flying-with-Vortex-Generators]
http://www.velocityxl.com/content.php?1432-Flying-with-Vortex-Generators