REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 78, Issue 40, Altitude

Fred Anderka fred at holohil.com
Fri Sep 16 15:07:33 CDT 2011

Hi Ruben:

Having flown across the country many times from the Ottawa area to the west coast both in Canada and the US I have explored quite a number of different routes through and over the high rocks.

Depending on your destination, a northern route through N. Dakota, Montana, northern Idaho on to Seattle will avoid most of the high terrain.  A central route through Wyoming, southern Idaho and southern Oregon will likewise keep you below 10,000'msl.  A southern route through New Mexico, Arizona. Southern Nevada, over the Mojave to southern California will also keep you low, just watch out for all the MOA's and Restricted Areas.  You will also find lots of long runways in the mountains at relatively low altitudes, Great Falls, Spokane, Casper, Boise, Portland, Salt Lake City, Winslow, Mojave, etc.

Have used the Mountain High Pulse Demand unit for almost 7 years now at altitudes up to 17000'.  The pulse demand units are very economical to operate, unlike the constant flow units and the operating altitude can be preset.

If you are comfortable flying VFR over the top, that is the best way to cross the high rocks.  Although there are low altitude VFR routes and passes shown on sectionals, there is always the possibility that you can run into a wall of fog, etc. in some valley with no way around and a solid overcast above you.  The high altitude (14,000'+) will also give you almost uninterrupted flight following through most of the Rockies and a much smoother ride although often a stronger head wind.

The Canadian route can be very spectacular, unfortunately the rocks are higher, the fuel is more expensive and the airports are further apart.  Canadian ATC also does not like you above 12,500'msl when flying VFR, you have to request "Controlled" VFR if you want to go higher.

You will often find a coastal mountain cloud bank that can block you your descent.  A number of times I have gone a few miles offshore to a clear area and descended below the coastal bank and returned to my destination under the overcast, just make sure to monitor ATIS/AWOS reports along your route.  Avoid flying through the odd cloud this time of the year, they often contain ice, I like mine in some gin, not on my canard.

Safe flight,

Fred W. Anderka
C-GHOL, XL-RG with IO-550