REFLECTOR: Altitude

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 23:25:32 CDT 2011

Ruben,

I have flown the rocky mountains for years. I have not yet been lucky enough to fly them in my Velocity, but hopefully soon. I also am a Controller at Albuquerque Center. If you let me know the route you are taking, perhaps I can help. There are usually lots of routes that can minimize your high altitude requirements.

Also, I have been using an Aerox system for many years. I find it a very good unit. One of the most important things is knowing your conditions. Have you ever gone through a flight physiology course or high altitude pressure chamber? If not, that is OK, but it does change things a bit. What is your normal living MSL ? I believe I can help with that information as well.

I will be flying tomorrow and friday, but should be home in the evenings if all goes well. Don't hesitate to call or E-mail me directly for more information.

I am sure there are many folks that have done this route in a similar aircraft (Dave Sharfenburg comes to mind), and can probably lend aircraft specific information as well.

Kurt Winker
Manager, Mid Valley Airport (E98)
Albuquerque Center
Velocity 173 FGE 340 HP Aluminum V-6 Chevy
505-610-3676
NMFlyer1 at aol.com