REFLECTOR: Violent Shimmy Cause = Light Gun Oil Lubrication

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Sep 6 11:15:08 CDT 2011

Perhaps a damping grease would work better?
A damping grease is a dilatant, or shear thickening lubricant.  It has
the property of exhibiting higher viscosity when under shear.

Almost all lubricants are the opposite.  Greases in particular are
thixotropic.  They become solid at rest, and liquids under shear, which
is the opposite of what we need.

I would like to try this one day.  Here is a link to a kit containing
various samples:
http://www.lubekits.com/?load=grease

There may be other sources, perhaps motorcycle fork oil, chain grease,
shock absorber oil or limited slip differential oil could be dilatant
greases.