REFLECTOR: Aileron Rigging

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Tue Sep 6 08:55:59 CDT 2011

For all those that have been here and solved this fun Geometry puzzle:

I have just been around to checking my flight control throws, since
hopefully they will be put to actual use soon, and my ailerons are a bit out
of adjustment-
Symptom: Both ailerons have 4" of throw (as measured at the inboard end) but
the right one has "normal" movement with 2-1/2" inches down, and 1-1/2
inches up. But the left side is exactly the opposite, with more throw up
than down.

1) both ailerons are exactly neutral with stick neutral.
2) both aileron  control arms are at the same angle with respect to the
wing/aluminum brackets when neutral.
3) stick throw seems to be identical right and left, but I don't think that
any slight difference in this would cause this particular problem.

The only thing I can think of is that the horn on the keel end of the
aileron torque tube is not exactly aligned with the stick,- I was not able
to directly measure this yesterday since there is a lot of stuff back there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alex