REFLECTOR: Violent Shimmy Cause = Light Gun Oil Lubrication

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 16:39:22 CDT 2011

Good to know, Thanks!

Kurt
173 FGE
Aluminum V-6

-----Original Message-----
From: WJ Wibeck <wjwilbeck at gmail.com>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, Sep 5, 2011 2:57 pm
Subject: REFLECTOR: Violent Shimmy Cause = Light Gun Oil Lubrication

Violent Nose Wheel Shimmy – I thought was a problem that only other folks have. I was wrong and wanted to share my experience.

Aircraft is Velocity 173 FG which is a Standard Width Cockpit with Hatch Entry and Long Wings similar to the XL Wing.
It has 260 flight hours with no shimmy at all, until now. I am pretty sure that I know the cause of my Shimmy.
This was the first Flight after I Lubricated the Nose Gear Swivel Washers.
I normally lubricate the washers with Wheel Bearing Grease but this time I squirted it with a Light Gun Oil.
I used the Light Oil this time because the Break-Out Force of the nose wheel was High and the Turning Tension was fairly low.
The Light Oil reduced the Break-Out Force a lot so the Turning Force was not much Greater than the Break-Out Force.

So – I am of the opinion that on my Velocity it is better to use Wheel Bearing Grease that results in Higher Break-Out  Force and a Lower Turning Force.

wj

WJ Wilbeck

ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail