REFLECTOR: Violent Shimmy Cause = Light Gun Oil Lubrication

WJ Wibeck wjwilbeck at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:27:08 CDT 2011

Violent Nose Wheel Shimmy - I thought was a problem that only other folks
have. I was wrong and wanted to share my experience.

Aircraft is Velocity 173 FG which is a Standard Width Cockpit with Hatch
Entry and Long Wings similar to the XL Wing.

It has 260 flight hours with no shimmy at all, until now. I am pretty sure
that I know the cause of my Shimmy.

This was the first Flight after I Lubricated the Nose Gear Swivel Washers.

I normally lubricate the washers with Wheel Bearing Grease but this time I
squirted it with a Light Gun Oil.

I used the Light Oil this time because the Break-Out Force of the nose wheel
was High and the Turning Tension was fairly low.

The Light Oil reduced the Break-Out Force a lot so the Turning Force was not
much Greater than the Break-Out Force.

So - I am of the opinion that on my Velocity it is better to use Wheel
Bearing Grease that results in Higher Break-Out  Force and a Lower Turning
Force.

wj

WJ Wilbeck