REFLECTOR: IFR Flight

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 28 12:09:02 CDT 2011

Andy,

As a Controller, I hate to admit it, but switching to an IFR flight plan is kind of dependent on where you are flying. It shouldn't be that way, but attitudes at different facilities can be quite unique.

In my airspace, if you are receiving flight following, all you have to do is say that you would like to pick up an IFR and specify the altitude requested. If the route you want is different than direct, let them know after you get the IFR.

This IS workload dependent, so don't get yourselves in trouble hoping that it can be picked up in a matter of seconds if things are really busy or if there is IFR traffic in your way.

One thing to keep in mind. If you are on an actual VFR flight plan with FSS, you will have to cancel that yourself!  Unfortunately, if you pick up an IFR from a VFR flight plan (not just flight following), your old VFR one remains active. Even if you show up where you intended, FSS will not know unless you call and tell them. Then they will start trying to find you.

Most controllers will ask for your "IFR flight information or IFR flight plan information. This goes on the tape in case it is needed later. Basically, we will need the rest of the stuff that is not already know (Aircraft color, fuel on board, ETE, Contact information etc.)

I have heard of some other facilities telling you to go to FSS and actually file an IFR flight plan. Time permitting, I just find that lazy.

Kurt Winker
Albuquerque Center.