REFLECTOR: IFR Flight

Ruben Creus ruben at vainneg.com
Fri Oct 28 11:31:02 CDT 2011

You read my mind! that is the same question I wanted to ask.

I have done quite IFR time under different conditions. I have a Catto prop
and at the beginning, it was being chipped away very quickly even when
crossing just moderate rain. I finally installed a prop guard and combined
with reducing rpm to 2250 when in rain was helping a lot on the prop. Only
the tips get to some small chips here and there, but bit of epoxy, sanding,
and paint al goes back to normal.

I had some water also coming into the cabin, and it came from the gap where
the radiator touches the fiber. I sealed the gaps with silicon and it solved
it completely.

The guard has been doing and excellent job. I probably replace it maybe once
every six month or so. The only place I still have chips is on the leading
edge of the wing. I am thinking to maybe put a stripe of prop guard on the
wing leading edge, but not sure, how that can affect lift. Does anyone have
experience with that?

Ruben G. Creus

* +1.571.215.0025

*  <mailto:ruben at vainneg.com> ruben at vainneg.com