REFLECTOR: Alternative Engines

gstull at tampabay.rr.com gstull at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Oct 23 11:07:52 CDT 2011

I know this has been discussed many times, but alternative engines are not cheaper. The engineering and 1 off install in many cases exceeds what you could purchase a used Lycoming for. I applaud anyone attempting to use these alternative engines, but they are much more difficult and time consuming. I have read or spoken to people who have used them. I have never heard anyone say that the certified engines are so unreliable that they were installing an auto engine. With auto engines many times that is the case. They give up and install a certified engine. Auto engines aren't designed for extended high power output and don't do well with the power pulses driving a prop. A typical car engine loafes along at less then 20% power most of it's life. I've known people who have had RX7 auto's. The engines just don't seem to have the durability of a recip. One friend of mine was driving his home with 60,000 miles when the engine just quit. A rotor seal failed with no prior symptoms. With a 4 cyl engine, 1 bad cyl will not make the engine quit. Again without experimentation, we wouldn't be as far as we are with homebuilts. Be careful with an auto conversion, there are many people who have had bad experiences with them. Just my 2 cents from a crusty old A&P.