REFLECTOR: sparrow strainer QUESTION???

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 18 19:26:22 CDT 2011

Canard aircraft create lift from both the main wing and the canard. This makes them stable in pitch.  Trim for a given pitch, let go of the stick and it will stay there, even as the speed changes. This means that if you trim for a few degrees pitch down, the plane will accelerate quickly and not attempt to pull up on its own.

On aircraft with tails, the tail creates downforce, which makes them stable in airspeed. Trim for an airspeed and it will hold it. If you trim for an airspeed then pull the power back, the nose will drop but the airspeed will remain about the same.

The sparrow strainer is an upside down wing shape. As airspeed increases, it generates downforce, moving the trailing edge of the elevator down. This increases pitch, causing a canard aircraft to act more like an aircraft with a tail.

I have never installed my sparrow strainer and I'm ok with it like that. Some people prefer to have it. It's safe either way, just as long as you know what to expect. It's a personal choice.

The trim spring is just that, a trim device. The sparrow strainer is also a type of trim device. In theory you could combine them, but I agree with the opinion that it adds complexity with little or no benefit.

Regards,

Glenn
N697RG
Elite RG, flying