REFLECTOR: ALX-9524 Alternator

William Walker blwalker105 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 09:56:45 CDT 2011

Hi Nick,

The first year I was away from home and had to have a remanufactured unit shipped so I don't know exactly what went wrong.  Last year was the brush connecting wires.

Aircraft Systems went through it last year, updating the brush holder itself to a stronger model, and added one twist to the brush wires. In their opinion, vibration from my distinct combination along with the placement of the alternator itself, is work-hardening the brush wires causing them to fray prematurely. If all I had to do was replace the brushes, I would do that at every annual inspection and call it a day. This time, I have replaced the brushes and the problem still exists. B&C Electronics feels it is a shorted portion of the rotor or stator this time. 40 hrs on this set of brushes. Very annoying. These Kelly units are not well thought-of in the industry. Under the direction of a local A&P, I had to use a Scotchbrite pad and emery paper to reduce the diameter of the internal recessed area to get it to fit into the hole in the engine case. Not something I would consider good quality control.

I am attempting to procure a different make alternator, perhaps a Delco unit.

I will post any conclusions soon.

Bill Walker