REFLECTOR: Rain and top fuselage naca

John Abraham john at velocityaircraft.com
Tue Oct 11 09:55:30 CDT 2011

Kevin,

There should be a drain going out the bottom of the aircraft that connects
to the fresh air NACA on the top of the fuselage so that water can get out
while sitting on the ground or in flight.  The two large NACA's will allow
water to enter down the engine compartment.  You should have a 1/4" drain
hole at the low point of the bottom cowling up against the flange and
firewall.  To prevent water from entering the cabin you need to do several
things.  First, in the engine compartment you need to make sure that your
wire ducts on the bottom of the fuselage and sealed with an expansion foam
so that the water cannot enter the duct.  Otherwise you will end up with a
floor of water in the aircraft.  The water will also enter the cowling exit
while sitting on the ramp even with the cover on it.  Secondly, you need to
seal the canard cover with either 3M tape or silicone to prevent water from
entering the front.  Thirdly, the elevator torque tubes can let some water
in as it runs down the side of the fuselage.  You can use orange silicone
baffling material to make a seal.  This also will help in colder weather to
seal the cabin.

If you have a fresh air vent in the front of the fuselage on the co-pilot
side of the nose, this can also let water in while flying.

Since this can be an issue for the aircraft, it is suggested to drill a 1/4"
hole on the floor of the aircraft just in front of the rear seats.  This is
about the low point of the aircraft and will allow any water to drain if it
gets inside of your aircraft.  Don't forget to also drill a 1/8" hole in
your strake pockets that the door closes off as well as your winglet
bottoms.

Best,

John