REFLECTOR: Nose Gear wrench for XL-RG's

Fred Anderka fred at holohil.com
Wed Nov 30 12:19:09 CST 2011

To make your own wrench, buy a socket at Harbor Freight and slice off a 1/4" section which is then welded to a 1/2"-5/8" steel tube (7" long) with a flattened end.  Buy a cheap socket with softer steel, not a Snap-On, it's hard enough to cut a cheap socket with a hacksaw.  A regular socket will make 2 wrenches, a deep socket will probably make 3.  Grinding the front edge of the socket section down to 3/16" helps get the wrench between the tire and the gear nut.

I am wondering if other owners have noticed a groove worn in the middle of the nose gear tire?  My front tire must expand quite a bit during the landing roll and is contacting the front gear tube that protrudes just a bit (2 threads)  below the cut down Nylock nut.

Talk to Scott, the welding shop at Velocity has made a number of them for various builders.

Fred Anderka
C-GHOL