REFLECTOR: Interesting Angles -- Fuel Venting & Prop Strike

Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) bobj at jaxtechllc.com
Sun Nov 27 21:08:06 CST 2011

Brian,

Your 19 deg climb out angle is correct (according to our GRT EFIS data
dumps) for a 100 KIAS climb.  For a more normal 120 KIAS climb, the angle is
about 13 degrees.  Our typical extended climb is at 160 KIAS (to help with
cooling), and it is about a 7 degree climb angle.

Why do you want to climb out at 19 degrees, Brian?  Unless you're unusual, I
think you're going to have cooling problems at that attitude, especially for
extended climbs (to 10 Kft or above).  For first flight, you will also
probably only have ~1/4 fuel, so you should be able to climb out at almost
any angle you want without venting fuel.

Bob

  _____