REFLECTOR: Interesting Angles -- Fuel Venting & Prop Strike

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Sun Nov 27 20:18:40 CST 2011

A little while back we were talking about how fuel is vented from the
Velocity in steep climb angles when the fuel in the front part of the strake
tank is higher than the vent loop normally routed to the top of the inside
of the engine bulkhead  I'm interested in this because we periodically do
smell a little fuel in the cockpit, and I think we are smelling wisps of the
vented fuel, coming back in the main gear leg holes.

So I made some measurements and computed a few angles (Velocity XL RG with
93 gal strake tanks and vent loop as high to the ceiling as possible, but
not routed forward -- which will allow steeper climb angle) that I thought
people might be interested in the summary:

            Fuel                  Max Angle of Climb (without venting)

       ------------------

            FULL                            12 deg

             3/4                               18 deg

             1/2                               36 deg

and if you were to extend the vent loop forward about 12" along the inside
top of the fuselage:

            Fuel                  Max Angle of Climb (without venting,
extended loop)

       ------------------
--------------

            FULL                            14 deg

             3/4                               25 deg

             1/2                               63 deg

One other climb and rotation angle of interest is the maximum before your
prop strikes the ground -- which could conceivably occur on take-offs, but
more likely on a very slow, hard landing involving an over-rotated flare.
The GRT EFIS data from our flights indicates that our normal touchdown
fuselage angle is 9 to 10 degrees -- plenty of margin!!

            Prop Strike       =          > 11 degrees pitch attitude

Bob Jackson

N2XF