REFLECTOR: vernatherm

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:10:34 CST 2011

Grover,

A vernatherm is a component part of a Lycoming engine and not something you can add to a Franklin engine.  The bypass on the Franklin performs the same function as the vernatherm on a Lycoming.  I have a SE/RG Franklin/IVO and I can climb to 10,000 ft. at 110knts, in the summer, with a maximum CHT of 360F and oil temperature of 220F.  You haven't said but I suspect you have NACA engine cooling inlets.  They don't work very well and require vortex generators in most cases to get marginal cooling.  I have slightly modified arm pit scoops which work too well at times (CHT close to 200F in cruise).  I have the standard factory supplied oil cooler with 1/2" lines.  I added vortex generators in front of the oil cooler air inlet.  I also extended the belly scoop down 1" to increase air flow over the engine sump to aid in oil cooling.  I also have the stiffer bypass spring to compensate for the very long oil lines.  That's what worked for me but are not the only solutions to your temperature problems.  If you do have NACA's I would recommend vortex generators to bring down your CHT's which are a root cause of the high oil temp.

Larry Coen
N136LC
SE/RG Franklin/IVO