REFLECTOR: Standard edition wheel pants

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Thu Nov 17 11:43:59 CST 2011

Mark,

Well, it took a little time, but it was not difficult.

I glassed the old halves together first.

Then I found the cutout shape that I wanted so that I could take the wheel pants of more easily.

Since my wheel pants were not big enough to  fit for some reason, I had to cut material out of the back so that they would mate up.

Then I covered things with tape/plastic, built some dams and filled the new area with pour foam (I love that stuff!).

I then sanded the pour foam to give a nice gradual curve as you see on the inner portion.

I covered that shape with BID.

Next was the usual flange glassing and nutplate installation.

I also built in a spring-loaded door so that I could check/fill my tires without loosing my mind:  http://tinypic.com/r/dbpfer/5

I put in some scoops to try and get a little airflow across the brakes as you can see.

Then the usual finishing.

Once done, you can remove all the perimeter screws and the wheel pants stay put. Then remove the 2 inner ones to pull the inner, and one screw to pull the outer. This way you don'g bang & chip the crap out of them trying to line them up (Like I have to do on my Cherokee).

I guess that all 3 took about a month of part-time work. I do like the final look though.