REFLECTOR: Sticking rudder pedals

Geoff Gerhardt geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 18:14:12 CST 2011

I have the toe break rudder pedal setup.  I just setup my rudders yesterday
and found that the co-pilot left rudder pedal doesn't work.  Without the
rudders attached both pedals, all the pedals work smooth, but as soon as I
connected the rudder cables to the pedal system, the pilot pedals work nice
and smooth and can exercise the rudders thru their entire range, and the
co-pilot right rudder pedal works just fine, but when I try to depress the
co-pilot left pedal, it just binds.  It will only depress down if I either
pull on the right rudder pedal (either P or CP), or pull on the left rudder
cable.  The only thing I can think is that the tube-in-a-tube rudder
actuation mechanism is binding as the co-pilot pedal is pushed.  As I
mention, it works fine as the pedal is not depressing against a load (i.e.
with the rudder cable disconnected), so I'm guessing there's some torquing
of the mechanism going on that is causing it to bind under load.  I don't
see an easy way to get lubrication in between the tubes that might help
relieve some of this binding.  Is this a problem others have experienced?

Thanks.

Geoff