REFLECTOR: Velocity twin

Ruben Creus ruben at vainneg.com
Tue Nov 8 12:09:45 CST 2011

They look awesome, but there are not canard airplanes.

There are two of these at my home airport, doing charter service. They are
made by the Italian company PIAGGIO, the same manufacturer than the famous
Vespa scooters you see in all Italian movies riding on Rome. In fact,
PIAGGIO started building airplane engines, and later built scooter engines,
but the scooters got more famous.

Recently PIAGGIO joined effort with Ferrari and the PIAGGIO P180 was born.
Looks great, it is very fast, cost half to operate than the small jets, and
has a very distinctive sound. A pleasure to see it, but, in fact this is not
a canard airplane. What you have in the nose is only a stabilizer, the
elevator is still in the tail like in any regular airplane. It is a pusher
though, but aren't all commercial jets a pusher also!!

Ruben

  _____