REFLECTOR: AOA indicator

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 8 06:34:30 CST 2011

Brian,

What you say makes sense, but all we care about is when the canard will stall. In a gradual stall the critical angle of attack for the canard will be a factor of both the angle of the fixed part of the canard (linked directly to the fuselage) and the angle of the variable part, the elevator, as you described. But where will the elevator be?  Somewhere close to all the way down. Since we know where the variable part will be in relation to the fixed part we can use the fixed AOA.

I suppose it's possible to stall the canard with something less than full elevator, I'll have to test fly and see. But I do know that in my plane to get a hard stall break on the canard you have to pull the stick all the way back. That's the scenario I want to avoid on landing.

So as a practical matter, the AOA of the fuselage does give us a good indication of the critical AOA of the canard with the elevator deflected down. The indicator shows red, yellow and green bands, not the actual angle. It's calibrated in flight so the red indicates the angle at which a stall will occur. In our case that means the angle the canard will stall with full down elevator.

I know from using it that single pilot I can fly my approach at 80 knots and the AOA will be near the green and yellow border. If I put someone in the copilot seat the same AOA will occur at a higher airspeed, just as you would expect. I can land regardless of loading with the AOA near the yellow/red border without incident.  As I said, very helpful.

Regards,

Glenn
N697RG
Elite RG, flying