REFLECTOR: IFR GPS

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Tue May 31 06:09:13 CDT 2011

The short answer is that the FAA puts the sections of parts 91 and 43 that they want you to comply with in your operating limits when they issue your airworthiness certificate.

If the operating limits say "day VFR only" then you can't fly IFR. If you tell the FAA you want night or IFR then they will specify 91.205 in the operating limits for these types of flight.

This is also where the conditional inspection requirement is documented, since part 43 doesn't otherwise apply.

Regards,

Glenn