REFLECTOR: IFR GPS

glennbabcock at roadrunner.com glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Mon May 30 15:10:06 CDT 2011

Lou,

An IFR GPS has to be compliant with TSO C129, regardless if it's in an experimental or not.  TSO C129(a) is required for IFR GPS with approaches.  It also must be installed per the requirements of the TSO and the manufacturer.

For my Garmin, the installation manual (and the TSO) require the following for IFR use:

- an A-33 or A-34 antenna
- an external non-numeric indicator, such as a CDI or HSI
- external lamp annunciators including "MSG" and "PTK"

For approaches, it must also have:

- external lamp annunciators including "APPRCH" and "ACTIVE"
- an "OBS/HLD" external annunciator (with switch)
- altitude input from an altitude encoder/converter or air data computer

It also must have a current database and you need a POH supplement (may be provided by GPS manufacturer).

Your 150XL is the VFR version of the Garmin 155XL, and cannot be used for IFR.

Regards,
Glenn