REFLECTOR: IFR GPS

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon May 30 12:51:30 CDT 2011

It might be just in the paperwork.  When I bought my plane I was told
that my Apollo 2001 gps was not IFR certified.  However there was no
placard "for VFR use only".  Also it came with an IFR database which
Garmin will not sell you unless they're convinced you have an IFR gps.
When I did my IFR training the instructor evaluated it and one-by-one we
addressed all the issues.  My manual states that for approaches the gps
software must be version 5 or greater (mine is 5.1).  Mine does not have
an external CDI.  I convinced the instructor that the CDI on my gps was
actually more useful than the standard needle one.  The gps was a bit
off to the right beyond the distance it should be.  However I had
several hundred hours using it and I demonstrated to my instructor that
I could use it without affecting my scan of the other instruments.  The
main thing the examiner wanted to see was the flight manual supplement,
which I had.  Maybe some of this will help.

John