REFLECTOR: Wastegate Bellcrank & Max IO-550N Power

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Sun May 29 14:04:53 CDT 2011

Hello Alex,

That's the turbo manual wastegate bellcranck, with the cable from the manual
wastegate control knob on the instrument panel attached on the left, and the
cable going to the wastegate valve in the engine compartment attached on the
right side.

The wastegate valve cable only travels about 1" from fully open to fully
closed, so we're using the bellcrank with the center point 'offset' to
provide about 3" of throw for the instrument panel wastegate control, which
gives us a lot finer adjustment of the wastegate.  Even as it is, I rarely
turn the wastegate control knob more than half a turn at a time because of
it's sensitivity in setting MAPs.  There's also a lot of lag between setting
a new wastegate position and it's affect on MAP which makes it very hard to
set accurately and finely.

The position sensor mounted to the bellcrank tells us the wastegate position
in percentage from 0 to 100%.  One reason we mounted the turbo bellcrank in
the cabin is so that eventually we can add a servo for automatic wastegate
control.  The manual wastegate works great for turbo throttling, but it is
very high workload because of the sensitivity, and also because of overboost
concerns if mis-adjusted.

Takeoff wastegate position is 38%, which provides about 30.5" of MAP and
full engine power.  I've only taken off once with the wastegate fully closed
by mistake (100%) and I saw about 36" MAP before I got it opened up again.
For high altitude airports like around Denver, takeoff wastegate position
increases to around 48%.  We're only trying to turbonormalize, and I don't
think our standard IO-550N can take a lot more than the normal 310 hp for
very long before starting to show signs of 'stress'.

Does anyone have a good feel for what max continuous power an IO-550N should
be able to take without starting to come apart?  We know we have some
'reserve power in the bag' with the turbo (for heavy takeoff weights and/or
high altitude airports), but we don't know how much.  We're assuming we're
good to 350 to 360 hp for short periods on takeoff (assuming the TSIO-550C
and E's use the same engine block, pistons, crankshaft, bearings, etc.) but
don't really know how much for sure.  Any expert knowledge and guidance
would be appreciated.

Bob

  _____