REFLECTOR: Franklin Starter Problem

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Fri May 27 12:36:16 CDT 2011

I just replaced my starter with a Mitsuba SM302 1.6KW PM starter. It spins
the engine
at idle speed when cold, but I have to fly the plane for an this week end,
let it sit for
ten minutes, then try to start it again. I should have a report by next
Monday.

The base plate that comes with your starter was prone to leak oil back into
the starter
and solenoid housing. the drain was installed to prevent this from damaging
the starter.

Mitsuba makes a CC and CCW version of this starter, make sure you order the
correct one.
Remove the three short screws and the two long ones from the starter. Pull
off the front housing
and replace it with your original housing with the drain tube. Note: You may
have to use a small
round file to enlarge the holes on the starter housing to align the two long
bolts.

If You have problems PM me.

--
Mike W.