No subject

Thu May 19 22:38:27 CDT 2011

thirty minutes after landing.
The engine will turn to it's first compression stroke then stop. After =
three or four try's I'll just have to
wait thirty minutes, then the engine will turnover and start within one =
or two power stroke/s.
This is annoying if you just want to make a quick fuel stop.=20

I have replaced the Concord 35x with an Odyssey PC1200MJT 40AH battery =
1200 Amp. starting current
with the same result.  I have placed another Odyssey 960 battery behind =
the rear left seat, and wired it
so it parallels the front battery when the starter is engaged, still =
same problem. A year or so ago, some
one on the reflector suggested replacing the starter with a ford part =
number. I did that, still same problem.

The plane was originally wired with #2 wire, all connectors were power =
crimped, the connectors to and
from the contractors are cleaned, treated and re tightened at each =
annual. I realize that the Franklin has
10.5:1 compression and when hot, can actually be slightly more, but my =
BMW M5 engine is also 10.5:1
compression and the same battery spins the engine very fast hot or cold. =
Could the problem be that the
starter is being heat soaked, which reduces it's efficiency?  Is anyone =
else experiencing this problem?

BTW:  I tried a Skytek starter which broke on the first start. it went =
into the garbage.=20
--=20
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
Dual GRT EFIS HX Synthetic Vision

user:pw =3D tvbf:jamaicangoose
------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CC188A.75A67B20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.19048"></HEAD>
15px"=20
id=3DMailContainerBody leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 bgColor=3D#ffffff=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true" name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Mike,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My Franklin came with a Honda Civic starter with a =
very poorly=20
made, welded-up adapter plate.&nbsp; Luckily my brother was a tool and =
die maker=20
and produced an adapter of my design from an aluminum =
billet.&nbsp;&nbsp;The=20
battery is a 55 AHR Optima deep discharge with #2 wire.&nbsp; Never a =
starting=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Larry Coen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>N136LC</FONT></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Tahoma">
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT><BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=3Dmikewatsspg at gmail.com=20
href=3D"mailto:mikewatsspg at gmail.com">Michael Watson</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:38 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Dreflector at tvbf.org=20
href=3D"mailto:reflector at tvbf.org">Reflector</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when=20
hot</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>To all Franklin powered Velocity owners.<BR><BR>From new, =
I have=20
always had a problem starting the engine within ten to thirty minutes =
after=20
landing.<BR>The engine will turn to it's first compression stroke then =
stop.=20
After three or four try's I'll just have to<BR>wait thirty minutes, then =
the=20
engine will turnover and start within one or two power stroke/s.<BR>This =
is=20
annoying if you just want to make a quick fuel stop. <BR =
clear=3Dall><BR>I have=20
replaced the Concord 35x with an Odyssey PC1200MJT 40AH battery 1200 =
Amp.=20
starting current<BR>with the same result.&nbsp; I have placed another =
Odyssey=20
960 battery behind the rear left seat, and wired it<BR>so it parallels =
the front=20
battery when the starter is engaged, still same problem. A year or so =
ago,=20
some<BR>one on the reflector suggested replacing the starter with a ford =
part=20
number. I did that, still same problem.<BR><BR>The plane was originally =
wired=20
with #2 wire, all connectors were power crimped, the connectors to =
and<BR>from=20
the contractors are cleaned, treated and re tightened at each annual. I =
realize=20
that the Franklin has<BR>10.5:1 compression and when hot, can actually =
be=20
slightly more, but my BMW M5 engine is also 10.5:1<BR>compression and =
the same=20
battery spins the engine very fast hot or cold. Could the problem be =
that=20
the<BR>starter is being heat soaked, which reduces it's =
efficiency?&nbsp; Is=20
anyone else experiencing this problem?<BR><BR>BTW:&nbsp; I tried a =
Skytek=20
starter which broke on the first start. it went into the garbage. <BR>-- =

<BR>Mike W.<BR>1997 Velocity Elite RG<BR>Franklin /IVO Electric =
CS<BR>Dual GRT=20
EFIS HX Synthetic Vision<BR>
<P>
<HR>