REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot

Stockman, Bill bill.stockman at daytonaero.com
Thu May 19 10:31:20 CDT 2011

I had similar issues early on with my IO360CIC with the factory starter, mags and aircraft battery.

I have since changed to a single Rose EI, a skytec starter, small 55amp alternator and a large SUV gel cell battery (used in the Navigator SUVs).    It starts easily hot or cold.
I have even  jumped started other aircraft from my Velocity.

I fixed my alternator problem with a new one from the factory (about $200).    The old symptoms were minor noise in the headsets, wagging amp meter needle and then finally no charging.
I did an autopsy on the dead alternator and found the rectifier was melted in several places.   There appeared to be quite bit of oil and dirt in the alternator.
Since its hidden by the cover on the back of the alternator it would be hard to inspect without taking the alternator off.

Bill Stockman
Senior Associate
Dayton Aerospace, Inc.

937.426.4300  Office