REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 19:11:04 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Watson" <mikewatsspg at gmail.com>

Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin Will not turnover when hot

> To all Franklin powered Velocity owners.
>
> From new, I have always had a problem starting the engine within ten to
> thirty minutes after landing.
> The engine will turn to it's first compression stroke then stop. After
> three
> or four try's I'll just have to
> wait thirty minutes, then the engine will turnover and start within one or
> two power stroke/s.
> This is annoying if you just want to make a quick fuel stop.

I know zip about Franklins but I have experienced the same effect with a
motorcycle (Norton 750 Commando) (kick-start) if the timing is such that it
fires too early... ie., fires a little BTDC.  There is no kick-back or
"explosion" sound... the kick-start lever just stops cold.  I've had this
bike for 36 years and learned early-on that my leg (knee) would not tolerate
this abuse and especially nowdays I make certain that the timing is set to
NOT allow a spark event before TDC.
Just for a test, you might try checking/retarding the timing...?

$0.02

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS