REFLECTOR: Velocity in IFR

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 12:47:07 CDT 2011

Hello Al,
In my opinion Velocity aircraft make good IFR platforms.
Favorable points -
*    Very good pitch stability helps the pilot maintain altitude and at a set airspeed during climbs and descents
*    Ability to fly fast approach speeds allows ATC to "blend in" the Velocity with faster IFR traffic.  This helps when landing at commercial airports.
Less than favorable points -
*    Neutral roll stability means that small aileron controls will turn the aircraft - the pilot needs to be aware of heading control.
*    Right handed pilots may have difficulty changing radio frequencies and copying clearances
*    Slowing the aircraft can sometimes be a challenge.  Extending the landing gear is a drag option once slowed to 125 knots.  Note - many pilots have a habit of extending the landing gear at the outer marker on an ILS (or when beginning the final descent during a non-precision approach).  If the aircraft is not slowed to V gear extension speed (125 knots) at the point where the gear is to be extended, it will be next to impossible to slow the aircraft to its gear extension speed during a descent.  What I'm trying to say is this ... let's say you are being vectored for an ILS at 'big city airport' and ATC asks if you can maintain 140 knots.  There is no problem in compliance - but just be aware, you must plan ahead and slow the aircraft to gear extension speed prior to the outer marker.

Lastly, non-certified avionics/flight instruments in Experimental aircraft make IFR flight risky until the equipment performance is proven reliable.

Scott B