REFLECTOR: Velocity in IFR

Dave T Nelson dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Wed May 18 11:10:12 CDT 2011

My two cents:

Any experimental (at least that I've ever flown) has greater pitch and roll
sensitivity when compared to a Cessna, Piper, etc.  The handling in
turbulence will reflect that.  However, after a few hours of acclimation,
the strong feeling of control sensitivity goes away.

I'm nearing 1000 hours on my STD-RG.  I fly it IFR, and while I haven't
done it in actual, I regularly fly approaches to the minimums under the
hood without difficulty both with and without the autopilot.  I'm very
comfortable with it as an IFR platform... but, as I said, I'm very
comfortable in the airplane in the general sense... Once your client is
comfortable, he won't see any issues.

My one concern with my airplane in IFR is icing, given that anything that
comes off the airplane (including ice) WILL hit the prop.  And I really
(REALLY) don't like things hitting my prop.

My two cents.

Dave

STD-RG N22DN

----- Message from "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures at cox.net> on Wed, 18 May 2011
08:27:39 -0800 -----

      To: "reflector"
          <reflector at tvbf.org>

 Subject: REFLECTOR: Velocity in
          IFR

Let me try this again.  I have a prospective buyer who is asking how the
Velocity is as an IFR platform. I don’t fly IFR; he expects to be doing
that quite a bit.  I think it is a very stable airplane; however when we
were on a demo flight we got into turbulence and he seems to feel that
there quite a lot of roll and yaw going on.  So he’s looking for some
feedback other Velocity drivers on how they feel about how the Velocity
behaves in typical IFR conditions. I offered to ask here. Were talking
about an SE RG.

A glowing report would be nice, but of course we want honesty.  If any of
you would be willing to communicate with him directly, let me know.  He is
very experienced with CFI, CFII, ASMEL, rotor ratings.

Thanks,

Al